Winter can be a harsh season. With freezing temperatures, biting winds, and dry skin, it’s no wonder that some people consider winter to be their least favorite season. In addition, winter weather can cause a variety of nuisances and complications for homeowners, with everything from making it hard to clean off your car in the morning to causing foundation issues.
But what about your basement and foundation? Although you may picture a heavy rain storm and flood as the biggest threat to your basement, snow and ice can cause trouble, too. To ensure that your home stays dry and warm all winter long, you need to trust a professional waterproofing company in Northern Virginia for basement waterproofing.
Drainage & Erosion Solutions offers basement waterproofing in Northern Virginia that will help you avoid a variety of issues this winter:
Winter Problems You Can Avoid With Basement Waterproofing
- Wet/damp basement: Proper waterproofing will keep all water and snow outdoors where it belongs and keep your home dry and warm.
- Foundation cracks: Snow and ice put pressure on your foundation, and if your foundation already has cracks, melting and re-freezing snow can cause these to expand.
- Frost heave: This occurs when the soil close to your foundation freezes, shifts, and expands, which puts pressure on your foundation walls. This can cause cracks to worsen. However, a properly waterproofed basement will ensure your foundation stays sturdy and water stays outside.
Checking for Current Damage
You should always have your basement professionally waterproofed, but there are a few checks you can perform yourself to see if water has already found its way indoors and caused damage:
- Standing puddles in basement: The most obvious red flag that your basement is not keeping all the water out that it should is if you see puddles of water on your basement floor, especially if these puddles are near your foundation.
- Water stains on foundation wall: Inspect your foundation wall. Do you see any dark water stains or rings? If so, this is a sign that moisture has already entered your home and caused some water damage.
- Noticeable cracks in foundation: Cracks compromise your foundation’s structural integrity and ability to keep water at bay. Even tiny hairline cracks provide a passage for water and snow to get inside.
- Mold: Mold is a clear indicator that water has already gotten in and serious damage has been done. Mold can be very harmful and toxic to your health, and must be eradicated by a mold specialist as soon as possible to avoid health complications.
Contact Drainage & Erosion Solutions for Northern Virginia Basement Waterproofing
Drainage & Erosions Solutions is proud to offer basement waterproofing in Northern Virginia and the surrounding DC metro region. Our basement waterproofing experts know the causes of basement leaks and how to prevent them. We will carefully determine the cause of any current leaks that you have, repair it, and prevent the rest of your basement from leaking in the future, too. We will ensure that you and your family stay dry and warm all winter long.
Don’t risk water damage this winter. Contact Drainage & Erosion today for basement waterproofing in Northern Virginia.